Friday, May 01, 2009

Pictures and Editing

I have used many editors and tools.  I have tried Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro 7, 11, 12, DotNetPaint, GIMP etc.  They are all good (PaintShopPro 7 (2001 Anniversary Edition) is my favorite) and have their uses, but unless I need a lot of power, modifying heavily, or creating from scratch I really have found that the best out there for working with the digital files out of my camera is Picasa.
Direct from their website it says, "Picasa is free photo editing software from Google that makes your pictures look great. Sharing your best photos with friends and family is as easy as pressing a button!"
Advantages:
  1. Free with a ton of cool features
  2. Comes with a free website so you can share your pictures quickly and super easy
  3. Easy!  Super easy to use adjustments (size, color, red-eye, brighness, sharpening etc)
  4. Organizes your pictures easily and super easy to download from camera
Disadvantages:
  1. Search, Find, tagging etc and finding an old picture could be improved
  2. File moving, reorganizing and merging folders...is well...not easy at all!  Put your pictures where you want them and leave them there is pretty much how it works.  
  3. The index that it creates gets really big over time on your hard drive and must stay on your C drive
Try it out.  I think you will like it a lot.   http://picasa.google.com

No comments: